VISION, MISSION AND FUNCTIONS|
of the Yayasan Sabah Group Research and Economic development Division (R & D)
To be a premier research centre based on Yayasan Sabah Group's vision, namely, i.e. Dynamic, People Oriented, Caring and Committed.
To make greater contributions towards Enhancing the Quality of Life of Malaysians in Sabah by carrying out research and development on pertinent socio-economic issues.
The main function of the Division is to carry out research relevant to the Yayasan Sabah Group.
- To research on broad social, economic and education issues, as well as programs relevant to the various Divisions under the Yayasan Sabah Group;
- To carry out Research on the core programs of the Zones that include socio-economic development programs, socio-cultural development programs, and intellect and mind development programs;
- To Initiate, design and guide the implementation of pilot projects and to develop social development models for trial implementation with a view towards enhancing the existing social development programs under the Yayasan Sabah Group;
- To document various social development programs under the Yayasan Sabah Group;
- To publish research-based books, monographs, journals, and proceedings;
- To organize seminars, conferences, workshops, and public lectures on various social, economic and current issues;
- To acts as an academic information resource centre for Yayasan Sabah management, researchers, planners and the public; and
- To undertake collaborations with external institutions to carry out research and publications to achieve mutually beneficial objectives.
R&D undertakes two types of researches that are relevant to the social programs and commercial undertakings of the Yayasan Sabah Group.
The social component of Yayasan Sabah is a large one that includes activities of the Education Development Division, Child Development Centre, Occupational Safety and Health Division, Kolej Yayasan Sabah, the Zone Offices, and Tun Hj Mohd Fuad Stephens Borneo Research Library.
All these divisions contribute to the implementation of various socio-economic programs in support of the Organizationâ€™s mission to Enhance the Quality of Life of Malaysians in Sabah.
The commercial component includes the business undertakings under Innoprise Corporation Sdn Bhd (ICSB) and its many subsidiaries. Research on the commercial component of Yayasan Sabah is currently limited to the social aspects and industrial relations such as in the plantation sector.
Apart from carrying out research, the division provides documentations of the various social programs undertaken at the divisional levels. It collects data, information and opinions from the various divisions through conducting seminars and workshops. The workshops and seminars are valuable platforms to gather/compile opinions and feedbacks in order to arrive at informed and accurate information for decision making in managing complex issues and problems at hand.
Ideas condensed from workshops and seminars are beneficial to the various Divisions which are involved in the implementation of social programs for the benefit of the people. The inputs derived from workshops and seminars can be harnessed to improve social and economic development programs, whether in terms of their approach, methodology, designs, mechanisms, and implementation. The expected outcome is greater efficiency, cost reduction, quality services and long term impacts to the target groups. In the long run, Yayasan Sabah Group can further improve the effectiveness of its delivery systemto the rakyat at large.
In view of the aforementioned, greater focus and emphasis will be given to research that are both high in priority and have current relevance to the original mission of the Yayasan Sabah Group; "To enhance the Quality of Life of Malaysians in Sabah".
- Poverty reduction in the rural areas;
- Special assistance to students in primary schools;
- Issues on housing program for the por and other physical assistance to the poor;
- Motivational programs for students in primary and secondary schools;
- Motivational programs for parents and the communities;
- Career motivation programs;
- Students' enhanced learning programs
- Enterpreneurship and business
- Marketing of products
- Packaging and labeling
- Homestay Program
- Cottage industry
- Rural economies
- Religious programs
- Issues on women and children
- The arts and culture
- Issues on leadership and management
- Various programs relevant to the Yayasan Sabah Zones
Focus on research on Yayasan Sabah social program includes:
- Scholarship scheme for tertiary education
- Scholarship scheme for secondary education in Peninsular Malaysia and Sarawak
- Counseling program
- Occupational Safety and Health in the commercial sectors of Yayasan Sabah Group
- Emergency aids
- School uniforms and shoes to school students
- Pre school education program
- Pre school education program in the rural areas
- Higher education
- Issues on foreign workers in the plantation sector
- Issues on needs for local workers in the plantation sector
- Economic issues in Yayasan Sabah formed companies
- Marketing strategies
- Other relevant programs and issues
External program and networking
The Research and Development Division endeavors to seek local and foreign partners in social research through networking, collaboration, and partnership for social improvement of various communities in Sabah, particularly for the rural poor. These include the subsistence farmers, shifting cultivators, fishing communities, and other disadvantaged local communities.
Such activities also involves joint research activities, seminars/conferences with external institutions on social and economic issues. Two aspects emphasized are special projects and research attachment programs.
Special projects are one-off in nature and can encompass focused research on identified problems requiring special attention. Attachment programs for researchers from external institutions at Yayasan Sabah's R&D (and, vice versa), are important to build networking on key research capabilities and to nurture skills and talents among staff. This also create opportunities to identify key solutions to pressing issues facing the State in particular, and the Nation in general. In this regard, entry permits and research visas for foreign counterparts is facilitated by the local collaborator in consultation with the approving authorities.
R&D's Long Term Strategic Plan involves enhancing its research capability to build networking with research institutions at the national level, and with other less developed countries in the Asean region. Over the last 40 years, Yayasan Sabah has been extensively involved in the development of the State, particularly in the fields of education, women's development, youth development, ambulance/health services, skills development, and rural development in general.
Through research partnerships with external institutions, Yayasan Sabah's celebrated experience in rural development would be externalized, especially in the promotion of skills among youth, women's development, as well as socio-economic development programs to address poverty among the rural communities. At the same time, fruitful partnership can build bridges for the exchange of ideas and the promotion of cross-cultural understanding.
The mode of funding for joint research is typically based on mutual understanding and on project-by-project basis. All these are undertaken as External Programs and Networking.
The focus of External Programs and Networking are:
- Collaborations via research network
- Joint research with other institutions, departments and agencies for mutual benefits
- Exchange programs
- Staff attachement programs
- Other ad hoc programs on a case-by-case basis.
Focus of research in external programs and networking are:
- Poverty issues
- Cottage industry
- Social issues
- Rural development issues
- Domestic economic issues
- Regional issues
Some of the past social science research undertaken by R&D, include the following titles:
- Kajian Perniagaan Kedai Runcit di Kampung Kuala Monsok, Tambunan/ oleh Joanes Tasim bin Gaduon. Kota Kinabalu: Pusat Kajian Borneo, 1998.
- Kajian Persepsi Peminjam ke Atas Skim Pinjaman Pengajian Yayasan Sabah/ Jabatan Kawalan dan Koordinasi Penyelidikan, Pusat Kajian Borneo, 1998.
- Kajian Keberkesanan dan Kejayaan Kesihatan di Pusat-Pusat Kesihatan Yayasan Sabah. Fasa II/ disediakan oleh Jabatan Kawalan dan Koordinasi Penyelidikan, Pusat Kajian Borneo, Mac 1998.
- Laporan Kajian Penyelidikan Kelas I (1999/2000). Ciri-Ciri Keusahawanan Penjaja Berkala Bumiputra Luar Bandar: Kajian di Pekan Donggongon, Penampang. Pusat Kajian Borneo, .
- Projek Kajian Kelas II Tahun 2000. Kajian Pencapaian Akademik di Kalangan Pelajar Asrama Yayasan Sabah, Ranau. Pusat Kajian Borneo, 2000.
- Kajian pengeluaran dan kepenggunaan padi bagi petani di daerah Kota Belud untuk Projek Bio-Teknologi Yayasan Sabah. Kota Kinabalu: Pusat Kajian Borneo, 2002.
- Projek Kelas 1 Tahun 1999/2000. Kecenderungan Penggunaan Bahasa KadazanDusun di Kalangan Suku Tangaa Yang Berkahwin Campur: Satu Kajian Kes di Mukim Limbahau, Papar Sabah. Kota Kinabalu: Jabatan Penyelidikan, Pusat Kajian Borneo Yayasan Sabah.
- Executive Report. Research on Housing Settlement of INIKEA Project Employees, Luasong/ prepared by Social Science Section, Research and Development Division, 12 July 2004.
- Sumbangan Televisyen Dalam Membangunkan Golongan Belia Yang Bermaklumat di Luar Bandar. Kota Kinabalu: Pusat Kajian Borneo.
- Analisis Pencapaian Pelajar Tajaan Yayasan Sabah di bawah Program Biasiswa Sekolah Menengah Semenanjung Malaysia dan Sarawak (1998-2003)/ disediakan oleh Seksyen Sains Sosial, Bahagian Penyelidikan dan Pembangunan Yayasan Sabah. Kota Kinabalu: September, 2004.
- Kajian Kecemerlangan GDW Kg. Bayangan, Keningau/ disediakan oleh Bahagian Penyelidikan dan Pembangunan (Sains Sosial), 2005.
- Kajian Kemungkinan Pelaksanaan Program Perintis Pembangunan Sosio-Ekonomi Kg. Inarad, Tongod/ disediakan oleh Bahagian Penyelidikan dan Pembangunan (Sains Sosial), 2005.
- Garispanduan Skim Pinjaman Peniaga Kecil Wanita/ disediakan oleh Bahagian Penyelidikan dan Pembangunan (Seksyen Sains Sosial), 2005.
- Laporan Akhir Kajian Penyertaan Pekerja Tempatan Dalam Sektor Perladangan Kelapa Sawit di Negeri Sabah/ disediakan oleh Bahagian Penyelidikan dan Pembangunan (Seksyen Sains Sosial), 2005.
- Dokumentasi Sumbangan Yayasan Sabah Dalam Bidang Pendidikan di Sabah/ disediakan oleh Bahagian Penyelidikan dan Pembangunan (Seksyen Sains Sosial), 2005.
- Kajian Pola Pemilikan dan Status Tanah Di Luar Bandar di Sabah/ disediakan oleh Bahagian Penyelidikan dan Pembangunan (Seksyen Sains Sosial), 2006.
- Garispanduan (Dasar dan Pelaksanaan) Program Desa Cemerlang, Gemilang dan Terbilang Yayasan Sabah/ disediakan oleh Bahagian Penyelidikan dan Pembangunan (Seksyen Sains Sosial), 2007.
- Laporan Akhir. Kajian Impak Program Sosial Zon Yayasan Sabah. Laporan Akhir/ disediakan oleh Bahagian Penyelidikan dan Pembangunan Ekonomi, 2008.
- Kajian Komprehensif Skim Pinjaman Peniaga Kecil Wanita/ disediakan oleh Bahagian Penyelidikan dan Pembangunan Ekonomi, 2009.
- Kajian Sosioekonomi Program Pembangunan Desa Cemerlang, Gemilang dan Terbilang/ disediakan oleh Bahagian Penyelidikan dan Pembangunan Ekonomi, 2010.
List of Research in 2010
- Kajian pengeluaran kraftangan di bawah program bimbingan Zon Yayasan Sabah
- Kajian Perbandingan pencapaian UPSR dan program motivasi di sekolah angkat dan sekolah biasa di Zon Pantai Barat Selatan.
- Kajian Program Homestay di Zon Pantai Barat Selatan dalam meningkatkan pendapatan pengusaha (Kajian kes Homestay Kg. Tulung, Kiulu)
- Kajian tadika Zon Yayasan Sabah dalam peringkat membaca, menulis dan mengira di kalangan kanak-kanak.
- Kajian penglibatan komuniti nelayan Suluk dalam industria perikanan di Kudat.
- Kajian kesampaian maklumat bantuan pendidikan Yayasan Sabah di kalangan penduduk luar bandar.
- Kajian kebergantungan penduduk luar bandar terhadap pemberi pinjaman tanpa lesen di Zon Pantai Barat Selatan.